Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Grace


As many people know, I love to be involved in many different organizations within the community. I believe that this started when I was young. My parents always had me involved in sports, youth group, piano, church, work camps, jobs, camp at the YMCA just to name a few. That has carried over into my adult life. I live my life by the verse: To whom much is given, much is expected - Luke 12:48. Today was the first night that we were able to serve dinner to the residents at Grace Place in Somerset, Wi. This is the old church rectory that is run by the United Way in St. Croix Valley. They serve as a transitional shelter for people in the St. Croix Valley that have fallen on hard times. It was a wonderful experience to be able to serve a nice dinner to them and sit around and talk with them about life. All expressed a single thought... they were all ready to move on. Most were excited to share where they were at in their journey. A few have apartments in various locations and will be moving out within the next week. A few others were still searching for jobs and would be moving out within the next month. Anna, has a 4 month old daughter, and she is looking for a job as a housekeeper or doing laundry at a hotel. She is a bit scared of moving out to be on her own with her daughter. She has been at GP since her husband dropped her off on January 8th.
Another reason that we are reminded to be thankful for all of the wonderful things in our lives. Even those small things that we have and take for granted to often... a roof over our heads, food on the table, money in our pocket, a reliable vehicle, a job, a loving family, a supportive group of friends! For each of these things, I will be forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment